Friday, June 14, 2013

Dear Lord, Protect this child!!!

There cannot be scarier words for a mother than...."your child needs surgery" or worse..."your child was in an accident." Well I pray that I never have to hear the latter but I can now say I have experienced the first. 
Braxton has had trouble with ear infections since his 6 month birthday. Luckily he never runs a fever and wasn't fussy but nonetheless his ears were infected and he had to be on a round of antibiotics each time. After his fourth infection in 2 months, our PCP gave us a referral to an ENT who confirmed that yes Braxton needed tubes. Surgery was scheduled and the worrying began. 
Yes I know that placing tubes is a simple procedure which takes 5 minutes. Yes I know that the doctor could do it with his eyes closed because he performs it so often. Yes I know that recovery will be a breeze. Logically I know all of these things but your talking about putting MY sweet baby under anesthesia and cutting his ears, so yes I was nervous. 

Braxton was very brave the morning of surgery( a little hungry but brave) probably because he is too little to understand what was going on at all. I held it together when they whisked his little body away from us and only teared up once. I waited impatiently in waiting room for the 5 minute procedure watching the seconds tick by on my watch. And I prayed...I prayed for protection over my precious boy....I prayed for the doctor's steady hand....I prayed for a smooth, routine procedure. I prayed!

Well God heard! Everything went great. Surgery was over in 5 minutes and Braxton went to recovery. Overall my sweet boy was away from me for a total of 13 minutes before he was sleeping peacefully in my arms. His tummy was hungry when he woke up so we polished off a bottle and then we were discharged. Braxton took a 3 hour nap which is super long for him and then he was back to normal! Man, kiddos are resilient!!!

I am so thankful for a healthy, happy baby boy. I count my blessings daily!!! I pray that a simple tube procedure is all he ever has to endure because this momma would really be a mess if it was something serious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment