Friday, June 20, 2014

Swim Lessons

I always knew that I wanted to start Braxton in swim lessons at an early age because I really want him to be a safe, confident swimmer. I'm still kinda scared of the water, I only swim to survive, and if I go under water you better believe I am holding my nose. Ha! My desire to start swim lessons early became a necessity when I realized at the beginning of summer that my son is a wild child around the pool.....running, trying to jump in, and just generally being unsafe.
Ready for Day 1
So glad daddy was able to come for 3 days!!!
I signed Braxton and myself up for the "Mommy & Tot" class at Rogers Aquatic Center and overall I am very pleased with my decision. I will admit that the water was COLD on most days but it has rained a whole lot this year so I can't blame the water park for that. Classes were 30-45 minutes long, Monday-Thursday for 2 weeks which was challenging for this working momma's schedule! Braxton was excited to go "wimmin" everyday and he really seemed to like his teacher Miss Sarah. 
Braxton with Miss Sarah
" It's Col"
So I know you are wondering what exactly can be done in a swim class with a 21-month-old, well the answer is a whole lot more than I thought. My goal for swim lessons was for Braxton to be more cautious around the water and for Luke and I to learn what to help him with this summer....I got my wishes!!!

Here's a list of the skills we worked on:
  • walking into and out of the pool independently on the stairs
  • Kicking on his tummy
  • Floating on his back with ears submerged
  • Going under water
  • Clearing nose and mouth
  • Crab walking on the side of the pool
  • Climbing out of the pool independently
  • Jumping in and turning for the wall
  • Kicking and reaching for the wall 


Braxton was a pro at crab walking on the edge of the pool and climbing out on his own. He also loved to jump back in. By the end of lessons he was tolerating being dunked underwater  and kicking on his tummy. He was not a fan of floating on his back in the water and did not appreciated having to kick and reach for the wall because that one meant swallowing lots of water during the struggle. 



I'm so glad that we went. I was so nervous dunking Braxton and forcing him to complete some of the skills but of course he forgave me and I know that he will be a better swimmer one day because I did it!! The two weeks of lessons also helped me to calm down about the fear of secondary drowning. I was dumb and I read the facebook article which is instilling fear in the hearts of mammas everywhere. I mean really....not only do we have to worry about our children while they are swimming but now we also have to worry, toss, & turn at night for several days until the risk of secondary drowning has diminished. My irrational mind turns a few coughs and sputters in the pool into a scary, horrible thing causing me to sneak into my son's room at night to make sure he is breathing. Jeez, I mean I get it.....crazy, horrible, sad things happen to babies everyday but now with social media we get to add these one-in-a-million freak incidents to our list of fears and worries for our children. Sorry......rant over and I will no longer lose sleep about secondary drowning. I am turning it over into HIS hands....Let go and let GOD!
Scary....baby dunking!!


No comments:

Post a Comment