Monday, April 6, 2015

RSV.....

With round 2 of this newborn business I definitely found myself being way more laid back and less cautious about germs and direct contact with sweet Beckett. I mean there is a dirty, germy toddler boy running around our house so in my mind poor Beckett is exposed to it all. 

Boy do I wish I could reverse time and change that mind set. My poor, defenseless, baby boy got RSV. 

Now I had heard of RSV before and knew it was serious business in an infant but when Beckett developed a slight cough on day 10 of his life I shook it off....allergies, sinus infection maybe. On day 11(Saturday) the cough escalated so I called the ACH after hours clinic and she gave me strategies to help with congestion which we were already doing (nasal aspirating, steam shower, humidifier). On day 12 I started getting nervous and debated a trip to the ER. First thing Monday morning on day 13 we went to our PCP. They tested Beckett and confirmed our fears...RSV.  Since Beckett was not even 2 weeks okd this diagnosis meant a hospital stay for us. 
We were admitted into NW medical center on March 16 and ended up with a 6 night hospital stay as we watched Beckett first deteriorate and then slowly improve. 
Day 1: chest X-ray✔️, blood work✔️, IV placed in skull after 3 failed attempts in hand/foot✔️, and late in the night O2 administration at 1.5L due to saturation levels dropping to 86%✔️. 

Day 2: attempts to wean O2 levels with significant increase noted with work of breathing (increased respiration rate and rib retractions). O2 back up to 1.5L

Day 3-4: Same song another verse. Attempted weaning daily very slowly but never able to successfully sustain O2 saturation levels at room air. Nurses began suctioning Beckett with saline every 4 hours. 
Day 5: respiratory therapists began performing saline updrafts. Beckett made it to room air and maintained O2 saturation levels in the 90s until bedtime. During the night O2 saturation dropped into the low 80s consistently but Beckett was able to recover quickly over and over into the 90s. *lots of monitor watching  for this momma. 
Day 6: discharge with important keys to watch for at home. We were definitely relieved but very nervous at the same time. Luckily we found an angel care monitor to borrow which gave me some peace of mind because I would be alarmed to any apnea events. 

No comments:

Post a Comment